There is a tradition on Twitter called “Follow Fridays” in which folks list a few interesting people they follow on Fridays to help spread the word about people who are worth listening to.
Evan Prodromou, the founder and CEO of Status.net has built upon that tradition to create what he calls Federated Friday. Thanks to a bunch of protocols that allow websites to communicate with each other (slickly named the “Federated Social Web“) users of the Status.net service (including identi.ca) can follow the updates of users on a variety of social networking sites, including Google Buzz and Tumblr. Evan uses Federated Fridays to promote the Federated Social Web initiative as well as to bring attention to folks he thinks are worth following.
In the spirit of furthering open web standards and because I think it’s a really neat idea I’m going to jump on the Federated Friday bandwagon and share some of my more interesting FSW subscriptions. Here they are, in no particular order:
- Sesame Street on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/SesameStreet
- Catalog Living: A Tumblr blog that puts stories to catalog photos: http://catalogliving.net/
- Tim Berners-Lee, creator of the World Wide Web: http://identi.ca/timbl
- Evan Prodromou himself: http://evan.status.net/
- The Electronic Frontier Foundation, defending your rights in the digital world: http://identi.ca/eff
Federated Friday by ssweeny.net is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.